Download Verify Ontario App for Businesses
Who the App is For
Verify Ontario is the Government of Ontario’s official app for:
- businesses and organizations.
- checking visitors’ eligibility to enter based on their COVID-19 vaccination status.
- saving businesses time by checking a visitor’s vaccine certificate quickly and easily without the need to search for details.
Some businesses and organizations in Ontario must check a visitor’s vaccination status for entry. Learn what businesses and venues are required to check.
You must use:
- a phone model that is from 2014 onwards.
- Apple devices such as iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch running iOS 11 or newer operating systems.
- Android devices, such as phones or tablets running Android 6 or newer operating systems.
- requires camera access to work.
- updates automatically when the device is connected to the internet.
- can be used without an internet connection to scan most government-issued QR codes, but you must connect to the internet every week or so for the latest content and rules.
How it Works
- accesses a device’s camera with permission to scan enhanced vaccine certificates with government-issued QR codes.
- quickly scans a visitor’s QR code, which can be a physical copy they’ve printed or a digital copy on their mobile device.
- displays a result page verifying a person’s eligibility to enter certain businesses and organizations based on their COVID-19 vaccination status and valid government-issued, enhanced vaccine certificate.
- protects privacy by only collecting anonymous data for metrics and does not save or track personal information.
How to Scan a Proof of Vaccination
Follow these steps:
- Open the Verify Ontario app on your device.
- Ask visitors to show a paper or digital, government-issued enhanced vaccine certificate with a QR code.
- Scan the QR code with the device’s camera.
- Follow the instructions displayed on the result screen.
- If the proof of vaccination is verified with a green checkmark, confirm the visitor’s ID.
Learn more about what the results mean. Read more about the limited exceptions allowed.
Accepted Forms of Proof of Vaccination
The Verify Ontario app will scan and verify:
- Ontario-issued SMART® Health Card QR codes on enhanced vaccine certificates.
- SMART® Health Card QR codes issued by another Canadian province, territory or health authority currently included in the app so far, including:
- British Columbia
As soon as possible, more health authorities will be added to the app.
The app will not verify:
- QR codes created using a non-government website or app.
- QR codes issued by health or government institutions that do not follow the SMART® Health Card QR code standards.
The app displays a yellow warning results screen if the QR code:
- cannot be read.
- does not meet SMART® Health Card QR code standards.
Visitors can go to:
- Ontario.ca/getproof to get a valid Ontario-issued proof of vaccination with QR code.
- Ontario.ca/vaccine-proof-help to learn about why their code may not scan.
Posters for Businesses Available Here.
Downloading Your Personal Vaccine Certificates
The province is initially making the enhanced vaccine certificates available for download in cohorts. As of October 18, the portal is open for any individual to download their enhanced vaccine certificate, regardless of their birth month. Individuals can also call the Provincial Vaccine Contact Centre at 1-833-943-3900 to have their enhanced vaccine certificate emailed or mailed to them.
Read the full media release here.
*Thanks to the Oakville Chamber of Commerce or summarizing this info.