Return on Community Investment in Bronte
In 2022, the Bronte BIA launched its Community Investment Program to bring residents, workers and visitors together to participate in unique experiences and activations led by non-profit groups that deliver big impacts and positive impressions.
The goal of the program was to create and market a vibrant, unique, active and welcoming Bronte with smaller, year-round events. After all, vibrant neighbourhoods drive vibrant commercial retail districts. The Community Investment Program set the stage for the idea that locals and visitors would say: ‘Let’s go to Bronte; there’s always something happening there.’
This new approach to events came out of the Bronte Forward! community engagement project that highlighted a desire by locals to celebrate local talent on a regular basis while amplifying our great waterfront assets.
Using $42,000 (11%) of member businesses’ levy funding, here’s what we have achieved so far in 2022:
- 10 local non-profit partners
- 40 free events sponsored
- 25,000+ visitors to Bronte
- $300,000+ spent at local businesses, which is a seven-fold return on investment
Click to view an infographic of the impacts of the program.
Recipients of funds from the Community Investment Program were required to track attendance, attendee demographics and provide insights as part of their funding agreement.
Insights of note:
- Attendees ranged in age from 1-99
- 48 percent of visitors were local; 52 percent came from outside of Bronte (travelling from Milton, Burlington, Mississauga, Toronto and other parts of Oakville)
- 80 percent of attendees travelled to Bronte by car
- 90 percent of those who travelled by car were able to find free parking in the district
- 40 percent of attendees indicated their plans to patronize a local business
- Bronte received nation-wide media attention as a result of CBC coverage of the Oakville Wind Orchestra Concert Series
- Bronte Heritage Waterfront Park was considered a clean, walkable, family-friendly venue and all events were able to go-ahead rain or shine
- All funding recipients indicated a desire to activate again in Bronte in 2023
Our Community Investment Program will continue to support activations in Bronte as we move into the winter season. If you know non-profit organizations that are looking for a one-of-a-kind location to host their event and need sponsorship, contact us today.